Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Morning Pages? Try It!

I've been journaling for a few years now, and have really taken to the concept of "morning pages." I got the idea from the book, The Artist's Way, by Julia Cameron, which was introduced to me by a friend. Morning pages are three pages (could be more, but no less) of longhand writing done first thing each morning about nothing in particular; just write whatever is in your head. According to Ms. Cameron, "they might also, more ingloriously, be called brain drain, since that is one of their main functions."

As creative people (and we all are) we often get blocked by our own fears and insecurities, or those imposed on us by others. We are often unable to move past it and forever live with the frustration of never being able to fully express ourselves in a creative way. This is particularly maddening for those of us who create for a living. As writers, fine artists, or filmmakers, we depend on our ability to tap into the creative flow whenever we need it, but at times we just can't. Opening ourselves up to the process of morning pages can help release whatever is holding us back so we can continue to do what we do best—create.

I recently came across a blog called inkmusings, where it's author, Gary Varner, talked about his experience with morning pages. Here is a reprint of that post given with Gary's blessing. Enjoy.
MORNING PAGES
by Gary Varner

morningpages

This morning I embraced an old friend: morning journal pages.

Last year when I was struggling in the process of moving out of a relationship and wondering what the hell had happened to my body, one source of solace was the times I spent at Starbucks, writing in my journal with the dawn breaking in the distance. Most days such writing equated to little more than time spent atop a glorious pity-pot, but sometimes in these attempts at cheap therapy, enough epiphanies appeared and made a difference.

Recently while trying to focus more heavily on writing for income, I realized I’ve been neglecting these me-moments a lot, and I missed them. So this morning, much to the grumpy machinations of my really-rather-sleep-another-hour body, I headed off to my favorite early morning Starbucks and renewed this old tradition.

Why morning pages? Many writers use this vehicle to jump-start their day, even though they still spend much of the day writing on other, hopefully profitable pursuits. Writing toss-away pages early in the day simply clears your mind of the clutter and noise accumulated overnight. Like a short meditative sit or a brief power nap, morning pages rejuvenate and result in a clearer state of mind.

Today I chose a target of three pages written in my Moleskine, which takes about 20 minutes, a time that’s highly manageable. Other writers I know write much more, and at times I’ve written 10 or 12 pages when there were things that needed outing, but the real point is in setting a minimum page count and not stop until said pages are filled. It’s also a good idea to force yourself to keep the hand moving as well. Morning pages are not a time for pondering then pontificating between the lines: the whole point is to unclutter and attain clear thinking, and distractions festered by inactivity don’t further that cause.

Will I continue morning pages? One day does not a habit make (but yards of black cloth can make several!...sorry…bad – but funny – pun!), but it’s a start and with memories of the positive effect morning pages once had during a rough time I should be motivated enough to set this good habit once again.

Photo credit: © Gary Varner

No comments: